Monthly Archives: June 2014

FDA updates to teething babies and numbing gels


Teething baby or Teething Babies

Updates from the FDA in regards to teething babies and numbing gels.

If your baby is teething don’t use any numbing gels (eg orajel, benzocaine, anbesol).  I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of anyone doing it, but apparently it has happened otherwise the FDA wouldn’t put the warning out.  If your baby is teething don’t use numbing gels on their gums as it can be dangerous for them.  According to the FDA website it can cause “methemoglobinemia” where the oxygen in the blood stream is greatly reduced.

Symptoms and signs include: pale, gray, or blue colored skin or lips, shortness of breath, fatigue, confusion, headache, feeling light headed, and or rapid heart rate.

If you put numbing gel on your baby’s gums and they have any of those symptoms contact emergency services immediately.

To aid in teething they recommend using a teething ring chilled in the refrigerator or to rub the child’s gums with your finger.

If you have questions and if you live in the Riverside CA, corona, moreno valley or surrounding areas, give us a call at (951) 687-8700.

Photo courtesy of FDA.  Link to update from FDA website.

When should I bring my kid to see the dentist?

What age should I bring my child to see the dentist?

I hear this question asked all the time.  We usually recommend to bring kids in as early as 6 months old or when their first tooth comes in.

What do we do at the first visit?

We will do a visual exam of the mouth and go over oral hygiene with the parents.

Why bring your kid in at such a young age?

We believe the earlier you bring your kid in, the more they will get used to coming into the dentist.

But they are all baby teeth.  They are going to fall out anyways?

Also it will allow the prevention of cavities.  It is important to prevent cavities in kids because it is often very difficult to fix cavities between the ages of 6 months to 6 years old.  If your child loses his or her baby teeth prematurely, it can cause the permanent teeth to come in crooked.  That will often require orthodontics to fix later.


If you live in the Riverside CA area, bring your kid in to our office to get their teeth checked.  Give us a call 951-687-8700 or stop by our office at 7759 California Ave. Riverside,CA 92504.

Additional updates to Medi-cal Denti-cal for adults

denti-cal / medi-cal

Additional updates to Medi-cal, Denti-cal, and immediate dentures for adult patients.

Beginning June 1st, 2014 denti-cal will begin covering immediate dentures without authorization.  That is, if you have had teeth pulled on the same arch within the last 6 months, you can get a full upper denture or full lower denture with out prior authorization.   If your current teeth prevent you from chewing or masticating properly and is adversely effecting your health, you can get a denture made without prior authorization from denti-cal.  If your teeth are loose and wobbly, maybe you are a good candidate for dentures.

If you currently have full dentures, then you must still apply for a new set of dentures through denti-cal.  Denti-cal currently covers a new set of dentures if your current set is over 5 years old and is no longer serviceable.

If you are in the Riverside CA area or any of the surrounding cities including Corona, Moreno Valley, Perris, San Bernadino and are having difficulty eating or chewing, maybe you are a candidate for dentures.  Give us a call at (951) 687-8700 to inquire.   Peter Mani, DDS currently accepts medi-cal / denti-cal and is accepting new patients.